Tuesday 26 February 2013

Did that really just happen?



So your spouse just informed you that they are leaving and/or they want a divorce.  What now?  Did that really just happen?  I had no clue!  What do I do know?  What's going to happen to me?
Sound familiar?  Words I asked or said to myself a dozen times during the moments that those words were spouting out of my husbands mouth.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  In a flash my world had gone from perfect to pointless.  Or so it seemed at the time.

There are times in life we can never prepare ourselves for and this is one of those times.  Whether you knew something was coming, or it hit you sideways like a Mack Truck... the pain is the same none the less.  There is no greater pain than losing someone you love.  Feelings of anxiety, anger, depression, disbelief, fear and doubt are just a few that you will use to describe the situation over the next couple of months, while trying to figure out where it all went wrong.  BUT, let me stop you right there.  While I do feel that we must go through the stages of grieving to fully heal from this kind of loss, we must not let our emotions take over.

A friend of mine always tells me not to trust my "feelings" and no I don't mean my gut feelings, but rather my emotions.  Yes we are to grieve when we lose someone we loved so dearly... but only for a time.  We have to mentally choose to take the "higher road" so to speak when the enemy tries to fill our  minds with lies.  And believe you me, he will try his hardest to destroy you during this time.  He has you just where he wants you.  However, we have a God who is bigger, better and brighter than that of the peon Satan.

For those of you who know renowned Christian author/speaker Joyce Meyer, a book you must make yourself read is "The Battlefield of the Mind".  We have to consciously decide to take captive of our thoughts and ask Christ to transform our mind to His likeness.  In her book Joyce teaches how to deal with the thousands of thoughts that people think every day, and instead teaches us how to focus on the way God thinks.   It's a powerful lesson in renewing our minds... but it takes some getting used to.  It is human nature to automatically focus on the negative first... why is that?  With Christ living within us, we have the power to overcome anything.  With God all things are possible, and while it may not seem so right now, this too shall pass.

So did that really just happen?  Yes my lovely brothers and sisters, it happens every day.  Instead of looking for the why, or a person to blame, look to Christ and the life changing power that He alone holds.  Don't blame yourself for something you "might" have contributed to the failing of the marriage, as that is now in the past, all you can do now is move forward.  The reality is no one likes divorce, and I am sure that it absolutely breaks the heart of God.  However, it has happened and it's now your reality.

Although there seems to be no peace in your life at the moment, invite Christ in and allow Him to heal the hurts of your heart.  Stand up and face this new journey in your life for what it is... a new journey.  Allow the God of peace and love flood your spirit with His presence, you will become a new creation.  And you might just ask yourself... "Did that just really happen?"

No comments:

Post a Comment